Tuesday, October 20, 2009
"Make a Difference Day" is this Saturday, October 24th. Here is a list of 10 organizations that have volunteer opportunities so you can "Make a Difference":
1. This Saturday and every Saturday morning, the City Park Mow-Rons meet in front of the New Orleans Museum of Art to clean up City Park. After Katrina, City Park did not have the funds to pay full-time gardeners and landscape workers, so the Mow-Rons came to the rescue.
2. Do you or a loved one enjoy playing on community playgrounds? If so, KaBOOM! Build Days will be occurring throughout the next several months and are still looking for volunteers and donations.
3. The United Saints 1st Street Recovery Project helps clean up the community and rebuild homes for disadvantaged residents of Central City.
4. If gardening is your thing, One Book, One New Orleans will be creating a community garden in St. Bernard parish.
5. Or head to the lower 9th ward to help start a community garden by building fences and creating raised planting beds with Americorps volunteers.
6. Are you a carpenter (or do you play one on tv)? If so, maybe you can put your skills to good use by helping to build wheelchair ramps for some local residents on Saturday with Trinity Christian Community and Phoenix New Orleans.
7. Habitat for Humanity has 46 homes in progress in the greater New Orleans area right now - maybe you can put your skills to work to help put someone in their own home?
8. Check out the HandsOn New Orleans website for opportunities to volunteer at the New Orleans Mission and with other organizations.
9. Pet lovers can donate their time and resources to the LASPCA or Animal Rescue New Orleans.
10. Finally, remember that not everyone is blessed with an abundance of food, especially in these economic times. Consider volunteering with the Second Harvest Food Bank network - you never know when you may be in need as well.
If you won't be in the New Orleans area on Make a Difference Day, go here to check out projects in your area!
And while you're at it, head over to OhAmanda for more Top 10 Tuesday!
Posted by Lauren at 5:58 AM