Saturday, August 22, 2009

Protect Your Children

Some people would tell you I'm an overprotective parent. Although we live in a pretty nice area, when we first moved into the neighborhood, I registered online with the sheriff's office to notify me of any sexual predators within a one-mile radius of our home. My older son is not allowed to walk 2 doors down to his friend's house without either me or my husband to walk with him - just in case.
I just read, with tears welling in my eyes, this very important article by Leslie Mayorga R.N. BSN, regarding child safety. The statistics mentioned are staggering and heartbreaking. Reading this article just reinforces my actions, and I think its important as parents that we all take a look at the tips here and share them with our children. We can't always be with them, but we can teach them how to protect themselves when we are unable to be there. Please take the time to read Leslie's article, and share it with other parents you know. It could make a difference in the life of a child.
Thanks to Leslie for writing the article, and to Pat from Here & There for brining it to my attention!

6 comments:

  1. Many Many thanks for spreading the word! Bless your heart!!! I cannot thank you enough!!! Praise God for Parents like you!
    Leslie Mayorga R.N. BSN
    LeslieVeg@msn.com
    http://leslielovesveggies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bringing this important issue to light! As moms, if we don't protect them, then who will?

    BTW, thanks so much for the follow! I am following you back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a protective mom, too! and i believe we are just doing what is right to our children since they are still so young to know everything. will check the article. thanks for sharing.

    and thank you for dropping by my blog and commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so hard to think about things like this.. but definitely a reality and the reason why I am.. and will be overprotective when it comes to things like this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely hard to think about, and so heartbreaking, but I'm glad you brought it to my attention! My mom was always on guard and asked a lot of questions so that's how I am naturally as well. I'm thankful! Those are tips everyone should know, though. And I went to the website indicated and looked at the photos of all the SOs in my area - I hated it, but figured I should know what they look like.

    Thanks again!

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately we do need this information. It's up to us to protect our children and now we have more tools at our disposal to do so. I take advantage of them all. I learned about some new ones now thanks to your post.

    ReplyDelete